Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Advanced is an improved, premium formulation for mothers to provide optimal support towards baby’s healthy development. Now enhanced with added Selenium, Biotin, Chromium, Vitamin B5, higher levels of Vitamin D3 and a bioavailable, low-constipation and low-nausea form of Iron, Blackmores Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding Advanced contains 20 essential nutrients, including 12 vitamins, 7 minerals and odourless omega-3 fatty acids.
Features and benefits
Blackmores Pregnancy and Breast-feeding Gold contain the following essential nutrients:
* Iodine - is important for the normal functioning of the thyroid gland as it is an essential nutrient required for the synthesis of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones affect almost every cell in the body and regulate oxygen use, metabolic rate and cellular metabolism. Thyroid hormones are important for the normal development of the skeletal, muscular and nervous systems of children. Iodine plays an important role in the normal development of brain, eyesight and hearing.
* Folic acid - plays a role in DNA and RNA synthesis, and is therefore critical in cellular division. In order to divide properly cells need adequate folic acid. The development and growth of a foetus involves constant cell division, which can lead to an increase in the mother’s demand for folate. Daily supplementation with folic acid for 1 month prior to conception and during pregnancy may reduce the incidence of neural tube defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly in the child.
* Vitamin D3 - is best known for its ability to stimulate the absorption of calcium and phosphate from the small intestine. It also decreases urinary excretion of calcium thus helping to improve bone density and strength. Vitamin D is essential for building and maintaining healthy bones and muscles.
* Calcium and magnesium - are essential for bone health, as well as playing important roles in healthy muscle and nerve function.
* Zinc - is essential to good health as it is involved in many enzymatic reactions in every cell of the body. Adequate levels of zinc are vital for a healthy baby’s normal growth and development.
* B group vitamins - play an essential role in the production of energy.
* Odourless and concentrated fish oil – Rich in DHA is the baby’s development of brain, eye sight and nervous system
Low constipation and low nausea form of Iron - is a component of haemoglobin, an essential component of red blood cells. Haemoglobin transports oxygen in the body. Having optimal haemoglobin levels helps the cells of the body receive sufficient oxygen. Without adequate iron levels the delivery of oxygen to cells decreases and energy production may suffer. Iron requirements increase during pregnancy because of increased needs for red blood cell formation and foetal growth.
* Biotin – Provides nutritional support as biotin plays a role in skin and central nervous system health.
* Chromium – Provides nutritional support as it plays an important role in blood sugar regulation and it helps to potentiate the action of insulin in the body.
* Selenium – Provides nutritional support as selenium is required for the production of thyroid hormones, which are critical for the development of a baby’s brain, visual motor skills and hearing.
Adults - Take 2 capsules a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
Contraindications & Cautions
Caution: Do not exceed the stated dose of folic acid. If you have had a baby with a neural tube defect/spina bifida, seek medical advice. This product contains selenium which is toxic in high doses. A daily dose of 150µg for adults of selenium from dietary supplements should not be exceeded. Vitamin supplements should not replace a balanced diet. Drink plenty of water.
Always read the label. Use only as directed.
Active Ingredients Per Capsule
Active ingredients per tablet
Folic acid 250ug
Potassium iodide (iodine 75ug) 98.3ug
Concentrated omega-3 triglycerides fish 250mg
- Containing omega-3 marine triglycerides 150 mg
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) 125 mg -
Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) 25mg
Iron (() glycinate (iron 5mg) 19.22mg
Cholecalciferol (vitamin D 500 IU) 12.5ug
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 30mg
Calcium carbonate (calcium 50mg) 125mg
Zinc oxide (zinc 5.5mg) 6.82mg
Magnesium oxide heavy (magnesium 35mg) 58.1mg
Selenomethionine (selenium 32.5 ug) 81.3ug
Chromium picolinate (chromium 15ug) 121ug
Thiamine nitrate (vitamin B1) 700ug
Riboflavin (vitamin B2) 700ug
Calcium pantothenate (pantothenic acid, vitamin B5 2.5mg) 2.73mg
Pyridoxine hydrochloride (pyridoxine, vitamin B6 950ug) 1.16mg
Cyanocobalamin (vitamin B12) 1.3ug
d-alpha Tocopherol (natural vitamin E5.22IU) 3.5mg
Calcium, magnesium, zinc and iron may decrease absorption and efficacy of some medications. If taking tetracycline or quinolone antibiotics, bisphosphonates (osteoporosis drugs), thyroid hormone, methyldopa, carbidopa or levodopa or penicillamine separate doses by at least 2 hours
Vitamin D3 may cause hypercalcaemia (high calcium levels) if taken with thiazide diuretics. Consult your healthcare professional before use if taking a diuretic (fluid tablet)
Iodine may interfere with treatment for thyroid conditions. Consult your healthcare professional before use if being treated for thyroid disease.